Creative Video Game and Computer Game Designer and Developer, Consultant, Manager, Producer, Educator, and Expert Witness with refined leadership skills, a comprehensive background in software product design and development, and 30+ years of expertise in the following broad-based competencies:
SIMULATIONS AND MODELING
LARGE SCALE SYSTEMS
EDUCATION & ACADEMIA
> Manager, Producer, Programmer and/or Designer for over 25 commercial software products with over $100,000,000 in retail sales. Have continuously had software on retail shelves since 1986.
> Skilled in the design and development of retail, commercial and entertainment software. Experienced in the full software development and project management lifecycles from initial concept through delivery.
> Expertise in P&L analysis/control, multicultural team supervision, project management, new product introduction, market testing, business analysis and strategic sales/marketing.
> Exceptional oral/written communication, interpersonal, analytical, organizational, strategic planning, technical, business development, motivational, problem solving and leadership skills.
> Effectively manage multiple, concurrent and senior-level projects and responsibilities. Thrive in both independent and collaborative work environments. > Educator and teacher active in development of undergraduate and graduate programs and curriculums for new technologies in computer entertainment and software engineering and development.
> Expert Witness in the computer and video game industry, game design and game development.
BALDWIN CONSULTING – Golden, CO 1/97 - Present
Founder / Senior Consultant
* Provide consulting services to clients in multiple industries including healthcare, gambling, the US military and computer games on software product design and development, and project management.
* Spearhead projects pertaining to project management, interface and product design, simulation design, entertainment design, code development and artificial intelligence.
* Primary designer for the USAF Information Warfare Center Sensor Combat simulation, and GameTech’s Diamond and TED bingo systems. Consultant on US Army’s JWARS military simulation.
* Integral member of research team for Integrated Knowledge Solutions’ GAMEDEV instructional development system for the US Navy.
* Associate Professor in Game Design and Development. University of Advancing Technology, Senior Instructor in Graduate Program of Computer Design and Programming at Media Design School in Auckland New Zealand. Instructor in Game Design and Development for Westwood College, Southern New Hampshire University and DeVry University.
* Provided Expert Witness services in Anascape Ltd. v. Microsoft Corp. and Nintendo of America, Inc.
MOTO1, INC. – Irving, TX 1/01 - 12/01
Vice President of Product Development
* Directed product development and managed a 45 person development division. Responsibilities included product design, development, quality assurance, and online operations for commercial software, online multiplayer products and entertainment marketing tools.
* Instituted an online multiplayer capability including development of a comprehensive multiplayer product. Led the company transition from PC platform to dedicated hardware.
* Successfully produced three popular products on time with limited resources while reducing staff turnover.
WHITE WOLF PRODUCTIONS, INC. – Lakewood, CO 4/90 - 12/96
President / CEO
* Chief project manager and designer for White Wolf software products, many award winning.
* Orchestrated all daily company operations, business growth and development, and production efforts for a computer software development company providing products for several publishers.
* Managed all company staffing, contracting, product design and development, strategic planning, product sales and marketing, and profitability. Outside consultant to the military and computer entertainment industry.
QUANTUM QUALITY PRODUCTIONS, INC. – Flemington, NJ 1/90 - 9/90
Director of Product Development
* Directed new product development initiatives for an innovative software publishing company with 20 employees. Supervised five staff, and contracted and developed internal/external products.
BEACON TECHNICAL SERVICES – Littleton, CO
Owner / Manager
* Provided engineering, simulation and entertainment design/development consulting services.
* Designed several commercial software products including the award winning Empire.
MARTIN MARIETTA AEROSPACE – Englewood, CO
Group Engineer, Titan Guidance Design
* Developed, validated, maintained and managed flight guidance software and targeting parameters for Titan 34D, Titan II space launch, and Titan medium launch vehicles.
* Developed new guidance logic for the Titan II Space Launch Vehicle final orbit burn which both reduced coding requirements and increased orbit accuracies by 25%.
MCDONNELL DOUGLAS ASTRONAUTICS – Clear Lake, TX
Task Manager, Shuttle Ascent Flight Design
* Supervised eight staff in the design of space shuttle ascent flight components. Developed, orchestrated and produced powered flight plans and design data, techniques and procedures for shuttle flights.
* Conceived and developed space shuttle direct insertion ascent techniques and procedures to allow increased orbital shuttle altitude to 100+ miles saving NASA $600 million in hardware development costs.
UNITED STATES AIR FORCE – Omaha, NE
Trajectory Applications Analyst / Manager (Captain)
* Analyzed missile tactics, survivability, strike effectiveness, vulnerability and deployment concepts.
PURDUE UNIVERSITY Lafayette, IN
M.S., Engineering Sciences
PURDUE UNIVERSITY Lafayette, IN
UNITED STATES AIR FORCE Montgomery, AL
Squadron Officers School, 1976
* Buster Ball, 2013
* Trainz Railroad Simulator 2006, Auran, 2005
* BalanceLog, HealtheTech, 2003
* SCCA Racing, Moto1, 2002
* NHRA Drag Racing Main Event, Moto1, 2001
* NHRA 50th Anniversary Drag Racing , Moto1, 2001
* Ted IIC, Gametech, 2001
* Diamond Pro and Elite, Gametech, 2000
* Metal Fatigue, Psygnosis, 2000
* Sensor Combat - The Balkan Cauldron, Air Force Information Warfare Center, 1997
* Galaxis, Trimark, 1996* Baldwin, M.L. and Rakosky, R.,
* Empire II, The Art of War; New World Computing, 1995
* Baldwin, M.L. and Rakosky, R, Empire Deluxe Masters Edition, New World Computing, 1994
* Perfect General II, American Laser Games, 1994
* Baldwin, M.L., et al; Empire Deluxe Scenarios, New World Computing, 1993
* Baldwin, M.L. and Rakosky, R, Empire Deluxe, New World Computing, 1993
* Baldwin, M.L. Keeton, B. and Sorensen, T,
* Star Legions, Mindcraft, 1992
* Baldwin, M.L., Greatest Battles of the 20th Century, Quantum Quality Productions, 1992
* Baldwin, M.L., The Perfect General, Battles of World War II, Quantum Quality Productions, 1991
* Baldwin, M.L., Rakosky, R. and Zaccagnino, B. W, The Perfect General; Quantum Quality Productions, 1991
* Damon, R, Baldwin, M.L. and Rakosky, R,
* D.R.A.G.O.N. Force, Interstel, 1989
* Baldwin, M.L. and Sorensen, T., Star Fleet II, Interstel, 1988
* Baldwin, M.L. and Bright, W., Empire, Wargame of the Century, Interstel, 1988
* Baldwin, M.L. and Sorenson, T, Star Fleet I, Interstel, 1986
* Baldwin, M.L. CPRESS Reservoir Information System, Exper-Tech, 1983
Magazines and Journals
* Baldwin, M.L. “Career Paths in the Game Industry”, Journal of Advancing Technology, Summer 2006. Reprinted in gamasutra.com
* Baldwin, M.L. “Giving the Antagonist Strategic Smarts: Simple Concepts and Emergence Creates Complex Strategic Intelligence”, Journal of Advancing Technology, Spring 2005
* Baldwin, M.L. “The Virtual Gilpin”,Railroad Model Craftsman, August and September 2005
* Baldwin, M.L. “Remembering the Stone Age”, Journal of Advancing Technology, Fall 2004
* Baldwin, M.L. “Publishing Contracts, A Few Notes,” Journal of Computer Game Design, April 1989
* Baldwin, M.L. “The Conversion Malaise,” Journal of Computer Game Design, August 1988
* Baldwin, M.L. “The Emperor’s New Clones,” Computer Gaming World, December, 1988
* Baldwin, M.L. “Where Are We Headed, A Program to Calculate Limits to Growth,” Creative Computing, May 1983
* Baldwin, M.L. “Starbase 13,” Softside, April 1982
Major Web Sites
* Baldwin, M.L. The Gilpin Tram, 2004-present
* Baldwin, M.L. Games Ed, , 2006-present
* Baldwin, M.L. The Art of Computer Game Design, 1998-2002
ACTIVITIES AND AWARDS
* Computer Gaming World – Cited among the top 20 game developers in the world; Recognized for three of “150 Best Games of All Time;” Awarded “Game of the Year” for Empire, ranked 8th of 150 “Best Games of All Time”, and “Wargame of the Year” for The Perfect General.”
* GameSpy.com – Awarded “Hall of Fame” and “Top 50 Games of All Time” for Empire Deluxe.
* Group Achievement Award, Spacelab Flight Design Team, The National Aeronautics and Space Administration
* Lyndon B Johnson Space Center Group Achievement Award, National Aeronautics and Space Administration
* Certificate of Recognition for New Technology, National Aeronautics and Space Administration
* Certificate of Merit for Identifying and Disclosing New Technology, McDonnell Douglas Technical Services Inc.
* First Shuttle Flight Achievement Award by Crew of First Manned Orbital Flight of Space Shuttle
* Public Service Group Achievement Award, National Aeronautics and Space Administration
* Air Force Commendation Medal, United States Air Force
* International Game Developers Network, Board Member and Co-Founde
* International Game Developers Association* International Association for Game Education and Research
* Colorado Game Developers Association, Co-Founder
* Academy of Interactive Arts and Sciences
* Science Fiction Writers of America
* American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics